Nikki 's Reviews > Clouds of Witness

Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L. Sayers

Apr 15, 2012

bookshelves: mystery, crime
Read 6 times. Last read April 14, 2012.

I think I liked Clouds of Witness more on a reread than I did the first time round. I now have a better mental image of Peter & co., after all, and I only comprehensively fell in love with the character when he fell in love with Harriet Vane. It helps that I can picture him as portrayed by both Ian Carmichael and Edward Petherbridge (leaning toward the Petherbridge, though my mother disapproves of my love for the newfangled late eighties Lord Peter), too. I'm not a visual person at all, and it seemed to help my appreciation of the novels to have a face to hang things on -- I can't imagine faces for the life of me.

Anyway, personal babble aside, I have to reluctantly say that anyone without the patience for a classical type of detective story should steer clear of Lord Peter. It's full of literary allusions, the quirks of Lord Peter's character, commentary on the social situations that arise... I really do love it, though: particularly, this time, the details of Inspector Parker determinedly to set out to purchase a fancy camisole for his sister, which tickled me rather -- and of course, his infatuation with Lady Mary.

I do think the novels get better with the introduction of Harriet Vane, but Clouds of Witness still has plenty to offer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clouds of Witness.

Dorothy I couldn't stand the Ian Carmichael version - I felt he was far too old for my Wimsey. I've never seen the Petherbridge one.

Nikki In the radioplays, that didn't matter, so he was great.