Angela's Reviews > Jewish People and Their Sacred Scriptures in the Christian Bible

Jewish People and Their Sacred Scriptures in the Christian Bible by Pontifical Biblical Commission

442036

bookshelves: religion

It's easy to dismiss the Old Testament as "irrelevant," since the New Testament declares a fulfillment of the Law. But this deceptively little book explores not only why that's untrue, but also why Judaism is relevant and why the Jews are still God's chosen people.

It's divided into three parts: why the Hebrew Bible is a fundamental part of Christian Scripture; a study of similar themes through the Old and New Testaments; and the presence of Jews and Judaism in the New Testament. It's thorough, with frequent references to Scripture itself. Part 2 is certainly the largest, where each theme is explored in both Testaments. It talks of things like the Law and prayer, gradually digging deeper into topics like the Promised land and the salvation of Israel—which is all mentioned in the New Testament, too.

I'm not quite finished with this one. Though I've finished the book, I want to read through the Gospels with these themes in mind, and reference the notes and highlights I made about Jewish relations in Christian times. As stated in the conclusion,

Without the Old Testament, the New Testament would be an incomprehensible book, a plant deprived of its roots and destined to dry up and wither. The New Testament recognises the divine authority of the Jewish Scriptures and supports itself on this authority.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jewish People and Their Sacred Scriptures in the Christian Bible.

January 6, 2020 – Started Reading