Aliza's Reviews > Ever After

Ever After by Kim Harrison

Oh man...that ending! Swoon!

Update: It is truly amazing how the characters of the series have grown--everyone from Rachel to Ivy to Jenks to, yes, even Al and Trent. There are so many beloved characters and others that take you by surprise even after so many books into the series.

In this newest addition to the Hollows/Rachel Morgan series, Rachel has to save the world...again, she jokes. The Ever After (I think a play on how this book ends as well as the demonic realm in jeopardy) is shrinking because of some bad leylines and some messing around by evil test-tube demon Ku'Sox who is doing everything possible to pin the impending destruction of the Ever After on Rachel while also ensuring that Rachel can do nothing to stop it from ending so the demons will end her first. Ku'Sox wants Rachel dead and that's not all he wants. If the Ever After ceases existing, magic will also. But that's not enough for Ku'Sox who starts kidnapping Rosewood babies who seem to be beating the disease and who may someday become daywalking demons themselves and perhaps his own little army.

But Rachel, the former witch, now daywalking demon is having none of that. She always fights even when all the odds are stacked against it. But things get more complicated when her gargoyle Bis and elves Trent, Ceri, Quen and little babies Lucy and Ray get involved. And here's the thing about Rachel, you can mess with her but you can't mess with her loved ones!!! (Wait...does that make Trent a loved one?! And after the death of Kisten, do we accept this reformed--or at least new look on--Trent? Trent lovers will appreciate some scenes heady with sexual tension between Rachel and Trent.)

I could not sleep until I finished the book. I cried. I laughed. Because even in the worst of circumstances for the characters, Harrison can make you laugh. And there really is a lot to cry about in this book for fans of the amazing characters.

The stuff about the leylines and fixing or breaking them reads like a lot of mumbo jumbo that you can hardly visualize. The tense parternship that Trent and Rachel develop is delicious but opens up Rachel to the worst kind of betrayal and well, it's incredible. And if that weren't enough, there are plenty of creepy vampires in the background. And just what is Jenks' relationship with Belle, the wingless fairy who babysits his children? And why does Ellasbeth still exist?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ever After.

April 15, 2012 – Shelved
November 25, 2012 – Started Reading
November 25, 2012 –
page 66
November 27, 2012 –
page 256
November 29, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Aliza Antonija wrote: "Brrr, everbody seems surprised by the ending!"

It was inevitable but there was so much lead up, it was like FINALLY!

message 2: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree I want to know :)

Aliza You're going to have to wait. :)