Terry's Reviews > Lexapros and Cons

Apr 14, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: guy-books, brought-to-rhs-library
Read in June, 2012

This has a fantastic opening chapter. The voice is strong, and the naughty humor is brilliant. Chuck and his friend are losers. Lovable, perhaps, but losers. All kinds of crazy could have happened and I would have backed this story all the way. But Karo can't sustain the early brilliance, and what starts out as a rival of Carter Finally Gets It and Swim the Fly sputters into problem-novel territory. You see, Chuck has OCD, which is not so much funny as crippling. This isn't an indictment so much as a disappointment. I learned a fair amount about OCD by reading this, and I have new respect for those who struggle with that. But it was hard for me to believe that contemporary HS seniors were being bullied in the "take-your-lunch-money-or-else' way Wally and The Beaver might have been. It is fast and easy, so some reluctant readers may appreciate it, but I can also see them being put-off by the hokey characters. Of course, anyone with a connection to or interest in OCD may want to check this one out/off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lexapros and Cons.