Kelli's Reviews > Dead in the Family

Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris

Apr 14, 2012

bookshelves: own
I own a copy

Some people have said this book is written sloppily with no real plot, but I disagree. I believe it's the "beginning of the end." It seems to be wrapping up some loose ends to give each character what they need to be happy with the rest of their lives, mortal or immortal. It also deepens the relationship between Sookie and Eric, giving the reader (at least me) the feeling their feelings run deeply, much deeper than just the blood bond and they have real love for each other.

The last book, Dead and Gone, left me feeling weepy and depressed because of its ending. I feel this book, Dead in the Family, more than made up for that. I've always thought Eric had real feelings for Sookie and he was ALWAYS the one who was there to help her (well, except for that one time in Dead and Gone, which was explained in Dead in the Family). In this book, it seems the relationship isn't so one-sided because Sookie is finally returning those feelings and she does everything she can to help Eric with his problems, too.

As Eric proclaimed at the end of Dead in the Family, Sookie is his "dearest." Let's hope the next Sookie Stackhouse book is actually the last one, the one that gives the whole series an ending and Sookie the life she has always wanted, which would also include Eric in it.

With all that being said, I'm not so sure about the Romanov reference. I have always been fascinated with the last Tsar of Russia and his family so I was not sure what to make of the Romanov reference. Maybe that should never have been put into this book. I'm thinking that was the only thing wrong with the book...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead in the Family.

Quotes Kelli Liked

Charlaine Harris
“I hurt with you. I bled with you - not only because we're bonded but because of the love I have for you. -- Eric Northman”
Charlaine Harris, Dead in the Family