CMT325's Reviews > Island of the Blue Dolphins

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

As a child, I remember reading this book and being unable to put it down. I remember that I finished the book on the way to the grocery store, and I just sat quietly in the back of the car, in awe of the whole experience. I often do that now, where I feel a catharsis at the end of a novel, but that was one of the first times where I felt it, and it has stayed with me all these years.

I finally read it again, and although it doesn't get me as much as it used to, there is no denying the power of this short read.

The main character is 12 when her people leave their home on The Island of The Blue Dolphin. She is a Native American and a recent orphan. However, as she is leaving, she discovers her younger brother, age 6, has been left behind. She leaps off the boat to be with him.

The rest of the book chronicles her survival as she waits year after year for her people to return.

The amazing part of this story is that even though it is fictional, it is based on the story of a woman found after she had leapt out of the boat 18 years before. It makes me wonder if I could possible survive the way she did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island of the Blue Dolphins.

Started Reading