Christoph's Reviews > Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth

Logicomix by Apostolos K. Doxiadis

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction

** spoiler alert ** This book, I think, is a good example of how self-references ruin something that is otherwise really awesome. Every cool thing that the book tries to do is pointed out in the "meta" modern-day sections with the creators discussing the work. It leaves no room for the reader to interpret the themes and motifs for themselves.

I think the bits with the creators are good to give the larger work some context, but that is all. Every time the authors do something interesting, they also jump up and down as i to say "did you see that? How cool was that?"

The truth is, the modern-day bits with the creators could have been completely eliminated, in my opinion. I did enjoy the inter-textuality at the end with the play they were going to see, but again, they ruined it by talking about how much their story is like the play, leaving no room for the reader to understand that for themselves.

Without the bits with the creators, I would have given this book 5 stars and it would gladly recommend it to my friends, but with them, this aspiring work reads like it was created for 13 year-olds. I guess that's who the creators think read graphic novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Logicomix.

April 14, 2012 – Started Reading