Lauren's Reviews > Inkheart

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Apr 14, 2012

bookshelves: to-read

In the end, I really liked this book. It took me a while to get into it (as evidenced by my read time of nearly a week). This is not a difficult book, but it is not a justifiable 500 pages. The story is very slow to get started, and it was a bit tedious.

Additionally, I really struggled with the time setting-Meggie's father is a book-binder, they're surrounded by books, and yet the book was CURRENT. While not mutually exclusive, the bookish quality felt like it belonged in a much earlier time, so I was really thrown when characters used credit cards, rented cards, etc. etc.

Otherwise, the story was compelling once it got going-the characters took a bit of warming up, but I eventually became attached and invested in their stories. They were a bit too victimized and helpless for my taste. I would say up until the last 50 pages I was sure I would give the book just 3 stars.

I'll continue the series, and I'd recommend to any who are looking for book featuring book lovers, a little bit of fantasy, and who have patience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkheart.

April 14, 2012 – Shelved