Lisa (Remarkablylisa)'s Reviews > Of Curses and Kisses

Of Curses and Kisses by Sandhya Menon

I received an ARC from Simon Schuster Canada in exchange for an honest review.

What an absolute delight! This book was the first of many books that really gripped me, pulling me into the intricate world of Princess Jaya and Grey Emerson, two characters fated to hate each other because of a century old fight. After learning from resources that Grey was responsible for Princess Jaya’s little sister’s slander in the media, she enrolls herself into Grey’s private boarding school in hopes of making him fall in love with her, only for her to break his heart in the end.

The feud isn’t just over a missing ruby and shame brought upon Jaya’s family but also an ancient curse said to have been casted on the Emerson clan. Grey has lived his entire life in fear due to his father who always told him he was doomed when he would turn eighteen years old. Due to this, Grey has never thought his life could be possible after eighteen. He hid himself away, pushing away people who wanted to be his friends, and never allowed himself to fall in love.

There’s something about a book when it takes place in a remote country and in a school that is far, far, far away from civilization. It’s not a fantasy but when you add filthy rich spoiled characters into the mix, it does make you feel like you’re living in a make-believe world. I absolutely adored the hate-to-love romance between Jaya and Grey. Grey was so cold but his friendship with Jaya warmed him. It was so beautiful to read.

The only issue I have with this book is that the ending was rushed. Standing at almost 400 pages, I didn’t think it would be an issue to pace out the problem that would stop them from being together but Sandhya disappointed me when everything seemed to happen all at once and be resolved all at once. It was a slow burn romance with a snap ending that left me with whip lash. I had to dock a star off. But other than that, I highly recommend for you to read this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Curses and Kisses.

Started Reading
January 5, 2020 – Shelved
January 5, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Shelly I had the exact same thoughts on this one!