Russell Atkinson's Reviews > TH1RT3EN

TH1RT3EN by Steve Cavanagh

it was ok

I only read 53 pages of this before I couldn't take it any longer. I'd give it 1 star based on what I read, but it might have gotten better later on, so I'll give it another for the benefit of the doubt. Every character in the book is a fantasy supernatural being. The main character is a defense lawyer who refuses to represent guilty clients. There is no such creature. That would be like an emergency room physician who refuses to treat sick or injured people. When I was in law school a criminal defense lawyer - a true believer in civil liberties, etc. - told our class that 98% of his clients "told me a guilty story and most of the other 2% were lying to me." Another major character is a serial killer who is also a master actor, mimic, skilled makeup artist, accomplished hacker, and all-around genius. He is also willing to change his body weight and break his nose and his arm in order to accomplish his murders. I was in the FBI for 25 years and found that every serial killer was pretty much just a thug. Most of them were stupid although a few were skilled con men and some were good at avoiding detection by operating at night with masks, gloves, etc. In addition to that, the lawyer character was unethical as the opening scene proved, so I couldn't get behind him from the beginning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read TH1RT3EN.

Started Reading