Sierra's Reviews > Bloodline

Bloodline by Katy Moran

bookshelves: medieval-england

What to say, what to say; I am not sure I can describe my exact feelings after reading this book, but I will try. Definitely, among the better historical books that I have read, this story draws you back over a thousand years to medieval England. The tale follows Essa, a young boy who was abandoned in an unfamiliar village by his father Cai, as he grows into a warrior. As a character, Essa has the typical angsty teenager attitude to all the adults in his life, especially his father, but despite his bad moods, he is a likable young man who works hard and loves animals. From the very first page, I felt drawn to Essa; in a way, he reminded me of the main characters in both The Lost Years of Merlin and The Sea of Trolls. Essa is by no means the only interesting character in this book. Katy Moran seems to breathe life into all of her characters. Whether it was a warring king or a village peasant, none of her characters seemed flat or two-dimensional as they flitted in and out of the story.

With such vibrant characters, the plot was extremely character driven, a mixture of the classic coming of age story and a fruitless struggle to maintain peace. The historical details seemed well researched including the attitudes of the characters. I have noticed that some historical writers impose modernized values and morals on their characters even when doing so goes against commonly held beliefs of the time period. From my limited knowledge of the time period, Katy Moran did a reasonable job reconstructing the people’s attitudes towards beliefs, morals, and politics. I was honestly impressed by the detailed explanation of the political structure of seventh century Britain. In a note at the end of the book, the author admits, she had to take some liberties because the historical record from the time period contains a few holes. Overall I think she did a great job filling in those holes.

All in all, not one of my favorite books but still a good read and well worth the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodline.