Grace's Reviews > Story of a Girl

Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr

Apr 14, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: disappointing-ending, meh, reviewed, young-adult

I think it takes a lot of courage to name your book "Story of a Girl". I mean, it has to be an extremely good story for you to actually name it like that. Unfortunately, this book didn't meet my expectations. It wasn't bad, but not great either. It was just okay.

I wasn't particularly fond of Zarr's writing style. I found it too brief, and not very exciting. Of course, a book doesn't need a lot of excitement to be good, but I just found this one too drab. And then there's Deanna. Throughout the book, I tried every means to convince myself to like her, but I failed to do so. Her bad attitude, gloomy mood, and cold personality all contributed in my growing dislike for her.

When I think of a story, I think of something that has history, and a plot. Now, in this book, I honestly don't know what the plot was supposed to be. It kind of just drifts around different subjects and stuff. And I just didn't get Deanna and Jason's rela- er, friendship. It didn't have that zest in it that would make me believe that their friendship is actually real. Maybe if I knew a little history of their friendship, it would make things more clear for me, but I never got to know how and why they became friends.

Overall, I think "Story of a Girl" is well-crafted in terms of relatable characters and ideas, but at the end, its dull plot and unpleasant narrator left me unimpressed and disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Story of a Girl.

April 14, 2012 – Shelved