Janice Palko's Reviews > Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

bookshelves: authors-i-wish-i-wrote-likele

This book came highly recommended to me, and it did not disappoint. Quirky, funny, heartbreaking, Eleanor Oliphant is a character not soon forgotten.

Damaged beyond comprehension, Eleanor is someone you sometimes want to throttle, sometimes want to take into your arms and comfort, and someone you will wind up rooting for. Out-of-step with the world, she also provides a way for all of us to step back and observe social conventions such as arriving "fashionably late" and bringing a "hostess gift." While she is insightful, witty, erudite, she is also so messed up that as she begins to blossom, it become cathartic to the reader as well. Her blossoming is a joyful journey for the reader.

Some of the phrases the author uses are just exquisite, especially when Eleanor describes feeling "shiny" after getting her hair done and when the author describes the moment as being golden like a drop of honey dangling from the edge of a spoon (paraphrasing here).

On a broader scale this book teaches a lot about kindness. Everyone likes passing on a trendy "Kindness Matters" Facebook meme, but this book illustrates how the least little bit of kindness and caring can change a life. It's the little things like offering a smile, including the stranger or odd-ball, paying a compliment that we can all do to make a difference.

I thank the author for reminding us of that.

I won't give anything away, but the ending stunned me. Definitely, add this to your to-be read list!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine.

January 4, 2020 – Started Reading
January 4, 2020 – Shelved
January 10, 2020 – Finished Reading
January 12, 2020 – Shelved as: authors-i-wish-i-wrote-likele

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Emmerling Such a spot on review!! One of my favorite books of all time 🥰

message 2: by Janice (last edited Jan 12, 2020 02:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janice Palko Amy wrote: "Such a spot on review!! One of my favorite books of all time 🥰"

Thanks for recommending it!