Malbadeen's Reviews > Bread and Jam for Frances

Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban

bookshelves: childrens-young-adult

Frances Loves PBJ's and in the mothers infinate wisdom she blesses Frances with PBJ's at every turn. As Frances sings her feelings from enthusiasm to forced conviction she slowely comes to the realization that variety is not a bad thing and ventures to ask for the spaghetti that others are eating. I love the rationales Frances provides for not eating certain food "but sunny side up eggs lie on teh plate and look up at you in a funny way and sunny-side-down eggs lie on their stomachs and wait and I love elaborate food descriptions "I have a cream cheese-cucumber-and-tomato sandwich on re bread...and a pickle to go with it. and a hard-boiled egg and a little cardboard shaker of salt to go with that. And a thermos bottle of milk. And a bunch of grapes and a tangerine. And a cup custard and a spoon to eat it with". And I love the songs Frances sings to solidify her position on Jam sandwhiches "Jam for snack and jam for meals, I know how a jam jar jeels--FULL.....OF.....JAM"!
The patient parents are the hero's in this book for allowing Frances to indulge in her dietary oddity without causing her a life long eating disorder by shoving diatribes and moral to the story down her throat.
Funny how this can be pulled off when you're a good writer (unlike Dr. L).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bread and Jam for Frances.

Finished Reading
July 16, 2007 – Shelved
July 16, 2007 – Shelved as: childrens-young-adult

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Bill (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill Okay, seeing as the 2 year old only eats like 6 foods, maybe I do need to pick this book up for him soon.

message 2: by Malbadeen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Malbadeen two! two is so great! Does he know about the Thingy Thing books. There is Sluggy Slug and Wormy Worm and Lamby Lamb and Goosey Goose and Whaley Whale and Snaily Snail and Doggy Dog and Moosey Moose they are illustrated by Chris Raschka and they are greeeaaat!

message 3: by Bill (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill No, I've never heard of these. They sound kinda fun, though.