Carrie's Reviews > The Water Wars

The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher

Apr 14, 2012

Read from April 14 to 15, 2012

The only review I read of this book was that if "you liked Hunger Games, then you'd like Water Wars"...although similar in that they are quick reads about teenagers in desperate situations set in the future, I'm not sure they parallel more than that (especially if you look at the Hunger Games series as a whole). That said, I enjoyed this book. It was a quick read, both due to it's length and short sentences (making it fast-paced). I was able to relate to Vera (the protagonist) significantly more than I could to Katniss; Vera is still wide-eyed and optimistic, although feisty and impulsive....perhaps she will become jaded if the story continues, but she was entertaining (not depressing). The "environment" theme was significant throughout the book, but I did not feel lectured. Although this is a young adult novel, I'm not sure if all the political jabs and subtle satire would be appreciated by a younger audience; as an adult, I enjoyed seeing the government totally reworked and Canadians as bad-guys. As for being science fiction, the author sets up the world quickly, adds relevant insights as needed, but does not get overly technical or futuristic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Water Wars.