Shelley's Reviews > The Sisters

The Sisters by Dervla  McTiernan

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook

The narrator, Aiofe McMahon, delivers an outstanding performance of a somewhat flawed short story. I can't determine how much of the momentum that kept me hooked was the story itself, and how much the dynamite voice work.

I don't want to give spoilers, so I won't go into detail on the weak areas. I will say the author has a great way of weaving a story, it's just that some of the threads were a bit thin. But at the same time, there were many parts of the story that resonated for me, particularly the relationship between the sisters and the challenges and obstacles they faced as young woman early in their careers.

Considering the story flaws and all, and remembering the considerable polish added by McMahon's brilliant reading, this ranks as a pretty good listen. I'll be tempted to go back for more in this series in audio form if the other books have the same narrator.

Just as a heads-up, this Audible story is a prequel to an existing series. It's fine to start here though, as it works as a standalone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisters.

January 3, 2020 – Started Reading