Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)'s Reviews > Burning

Burning by Tamar Sloan

liked it
bookshelves: kindle-books, novellas, 3-star

I didn't love this as much as I was hoping to. I saw quite a few people give this really high praise, and it caught my attention. I thought for sure it would blow my mind. I'm super sad that it didn't.

It's been a while since I read a dystopian. They all started to feel the same after a while, and this one didn't really stand out much, either. It was interesting, but not particularly unique. Some parts of the world building felt a little vague and I would have liked to see a bit more backstory, but maybe we get that in the first book. This is just a prequel, after all. I suppose for a novella, I had a decent understanding of the world.

I wanted to connect to the characters a lot more than I did. I didn't really care about any of them, they were bland and uninspiring. Even when things were happening, I didn't really feel much at all. The romance didn't do anything for me, either. I think my main issue with being able to connect to the story was the prose. It wasn't bad writing, it was just a bit dry and formal and that alone created a disconnect. I am also not a fan of third person OR present tense, so the combination of both might have brought it down a bit more for me personally. It wasn't poorly done, though! It's an interesting combination that you don't see very often.

For as short as the story was, there was a lot going on. I can definitely see where it could be setting up for the next book, and despite a bit of apathy toward this novella, I am interested in continuing to see where the story goes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burning.

January 3, 2020 – Shelved