Jennifer Eaton's Reviews > The P.U.R.E.

The P.U.R.E. by Claire Gillian

When I was offered a free advance copy of The P.U.R.E. from its publisher, I almost passed. I am not a mystery fan. I prefer something with lots of action and explosions. But I figured, what the heck, it’s free.

So, I sat down one day and began reading what I expected to be a dull, boring drama. Boy, was I in for a surprise.

Claire Gillian did an amazing job intertwining the overall mystery plot with the “Girl falling for the guy at the office” plot. Not being a mystery fan, I actually gravitated more toward the romance aspect initially, but Ms. Gillian quickly sucked me in to her overall world of corporate Hell.

The best part about this book is the really defined main characters. I totally believed them, and living in a cubicle myself for the last twenty years, I can totally relate to the inter-office politics.

The main character is a very much matured version of Nancy Drew. She’s a busy-body “can’t stand anyone having a secret” type. As annoying as that characteristic sounds, she is portrayed as strong, smart, and extremely real. She isn’t a tall lanky Barbie Doll. She is petite, and has a big rear end… again… “real”. I felt like I knew her, and none of her “sleuthing” seemed over the top.

As noted in the book description, there is a strong romantic element to this novel, and I have to give Ms. Gillian extra brownie points for making sure the characters always use condoms. Two characters even have a conversation about STDs and birth control. For myself, having lost a cousin to a sexually transmitted disease, I have to nod in appreciation to the author. This is the first time I have read anything that didn’t ignore that detail/concern like it didn’t exist.

Everything about this novel was believable and compelling, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Am I now a mystery fan? No, not at all.

Would I buy another Claire Gillian novel? Yes, absolutely. I wouldn’t hesitate for a single second.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The P.U.R.E..

Started Reading