M.H. Thaung's Reviews > Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law by Rhys Bowen

This murder mystery is set mainly en route to and in New York sometime in (I guess) the early 1900s. When titular character Molly Murphy accidentally kills a would-be rapist, she decides to flee Ireland in the hope of outrunning the authorities. By luck, she ends up crossing the Atlantic on a ship with two children while pretending to be their mother. One of her fellow passengers is murdered, and Molly feels the need to investigate his death, as well as nagging a local (NY) policeman on how to do his job.

It's a very cosy story, and so we probably don't expect a lot of realism. But I found Molly's decisions and actions (and other people's reactions) seriously implausible. She's obviously aware of sexual predators, but she happily goes trailing around this big new city with apparently very little concern about personal safety. She struck me as someone so obsessed with her own rightness and plans that she ignored everything else. Being a cosy, it all works out well for her (I do hope that's not a spoiler), but I simply couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy the adventure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murphy's Law.

Started Reading