TeriLyn's Reviews > The After Wife: A Novel

The After Wife by Melanie Summers

bookshelves: arc

**The After Wife generously provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

4 "Those are cold, hard facts of love." Stars

This book really is something. It kept me engaged and glued to the pages. To review it is difficult because I really enjoyed most of it, even the hard parts, but the ending threw me a bit and left me a little unsatisfied. Despite that, because I believe it's just personal preference, this story resonates with me on many different levels. A women's fic novel about a 39 year old widow, from her point of view, who upends her life for an isolated change in a new environment who slowly ends up rediscovering herself, her feelings on love and life, and the choices she made as a young woman. Aiding in this life shift is a man who became her fast friend and confidant and his young, curious daughter.

The heroine's slow burn type of development felt organic and true as people don't suddenly see the light after 15 years and how she takes those mottled feelings and reshapes them into something she can live with and understand really struck a chord. The male main character was perfectly understanding, patient, and kind despite his own personal tragedy and subsequent growth. There's hope in the pain and love in the banter. The small town setting lends itself nicely to the story and really just fits. There are some truly special and touching moments with the aforementioned child that really make you think and want to believe in the unfiltered faith that children hold close.

This author is new to me and I really enjoyed her storytelling style. The chapters are short and the writing tight and concise without a lot of superfluous detail but still packing a lot of meaning and emotion. The After Wife isn't your typical romance story in style or structure. It's about loving and understanding one's self to truly give to another and understand them. The ending is one that I think I love to hate but that's the beauty of a well written, engaging story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The After Wife.

Started Reading