Jennifer Wedemeyer's Reviews > The Five Love Languages of Children

The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman

Apr 13, 2012

bookshelves: books-i-m-reviewing
Read in April, 2012

Immediately, I realized that I wasn't meeting each of my children's individual love need. I thought my son's main love language was physical touch but it's also words of affirmation. This is so obvious in that he is always touching, always wrestling, and always in your personal space and now that I realize it he's also always asking if everything is ok, did he do this ok, am I all right and he is so happy after receiving positive words of affirmation from myself and my husband. After reading Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell's tips, I began to incorporate more touch into every moment that I was near my son and a lot more words of affirmation. Whenever he is near, my hand can be found on his head, his back, or engaging in learning manners such as shaking hands. I have learned to use touch in all of his learning activities and his acting out has gone down considerably as well as his verbal skills have soared.

My daughter was a little harder to discover but I quickly discovered that her love languages are acts of service and time. She wants to be with you yet she wants to do something with you. Playing games with her, baking with her, doing crafts with her, and even cleaning or doing laundry together are all reaching her needs. She also loves to work on Punky Monkey Misisons projects together like crocheting, passing out Blessed to Bless bags to the needy and taking food to the homeless.

As a mom, I found that The 5 Love Languages of Children was one of the best books I could have read. I wish I would have had this as a new mom! Gary Champan and Ross Campbell use biblical principles, personal illustrations, and personal application to really open up your eyes to your child's needs. I highly recommend this book to any parent - new or old. It might just be the charge your family needs to go from average to exemplary. If every child had their love languages met just think of what a better place we would live in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Five Love Languages of Children.

03/05/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by FLORINA (new) - added it

FLORINA The 5 love languages for children is a great book that offers insightful information on how to discover and speak your child's love language, how to use the love languages to help your child learn best and how to discipline in a loving, effective way. It's very important to communicate the live and make sure the children get it. Both authors are presenting tips on how important the physical toughness is, the need of words of affirmation is required and the presence of gifts and acts of service. Also quality time is a must that can't be substituted for anything. There's also presented good evidence of the importance of discipline, learning, how to improve patience, calm, wisdom and education of the children. I would recommend this book to every parent. I received a copy of the book from the publisher for the review.