Bettie☯'s Reviews > Winter of the World

Winter of the World by Ken Follett

Apr 13, 2012

bookshelves: fraudio, autumn-2012, published-2012, series, nazi-related, war, wwii, historical-fiction

~35 hours. John Lee (Narrator)

pre-release blurb: Berlin in 1933 is in upheaval. Eleven-year-old Carla von Ulrich struggles to understand the tensions disrupting her family as Hitler strengthens his grip on Germany. Into this turmoil steps her mother’s formidable friend and former British MP, Ethel Leckwith, and her student son, Lloyd, who soon learns for himself the brutal reality of Nazism. He also encounters a group of Germans resolved to oppose Hitler - but are they willing to go so far as to betray their country? Such people are closely watched by Volodya, a Russian with a bright future in Red Army Intelligence. The international clash of military power and personal beliefs that ensues will sweep over them all as it rages from Cable Street in London’s East End to Pearl Harbor in Hawaii, from Spain to Stalingrad, from Dresden to Hiroshima. At Cambridge Lloyd is irresistibly drawn to dazzling American socialite Daisy Peshkov, who represents everything his left-wing family despise. But Daisy is more interested in aristocratic Boy Fitzherbert - amateur pilot, party lover and leading light of the British Union of Fascists. Back in Berlin, Carla worships golden boy Werner from afar. But nothing will work out the way they expect as their lives and the hopes of the world are smashed by the greatest and cruellest war in the history of the human race. Winter of the World is the second novel in Ken Follett’s uniquely ambitious and deeply satisfying trilogy 'The Century'. On its own or read in sequence with Fall of Giants, this is a magnificent, spellbinding epic of global conflict and personal drama.

Cracktastic - how long do I have to wait for book the third?

4* Pillars of the Earth

2* Under the Streets of Nice

Winter Season 2012/2013

3* White Heat
4* Winter of the World

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter of the World.

Bettie☯ Thanks Kim, Jim, Veeral; cracking along at a fair lick and not suffereing the slightest from the
second-in-series syndrome.

message 2: by Wanda (new) - added it

Wanda I am lining these up for next. I wanted to read Dead Souls; however, your enthusiasm has caused me to reconsider.

Bettie☯ Thanks Wanda - this series was conceived long before Downton Abbey. Those who moan on about lack of depth in characters or skimming over every historical happening in these eye-scorching books, don't seem to level the same criticisms at the TV series do they.

Hah - both are popcorn and I say Bring It On...

Nom Nom Nom

Bettie☯ Thanks Mimal - I do so hope they make these books into marathon miniseries.

message 5: by Wanda (last edited Nov 20, 2012 05:18PM) (new) - added it

Wanda It is a shame really. I look to be entertained by television knowing it is out-of-reality but maybe the people are pretty (e.g., Thomas of Downton) entertainment.

Books become for me a bit more "real" and when people are transparent, that is realistic. Those types really exist. Besides, I will take a book over television most any day. When I touch a book I have read, I can "hear" all the people within conversing. Silly, I know, but that is how I remember books and stories.

Bettie☯ When I touch a book I have read, I can "hear" all the people within conversing.

That's it - you've nailed it
:O)

message 7: by Fiona (new)

Fiona I am delighted with Wanda's comment and relieved to read it. I've said it for years and no one has understood. I'm a slow reader because I have to hear every character. Everyone has their own voice which I will remember long afterwards. That's what brings books to life for me. Even when I'm not there, their conversations continue. Thanks Wanda and Bettie. Great to know I'm not alone!

Samapika A book containing more than 1000 pages, must have something very unique in it either in its story line or the writing style. This book has both. It gripped me through all my free time, I couldn't do anything but just to read, just to find out what next.

But Now, I have to wait till the last book comes out. This story will live with me.

P.S I wish there is some more about Billy in this book as I always admired ... Billly- with- Jesus :)