Mel's Reviews > Because of Low

Because of Low by Abbi Glines

Apr 13, 2012

Recommended for: contemporary, new adult, mature YA,
Read in April, 2012 — I own a copy

Companion book to breathe - which featured Sadie, Jax and Marcus. Because of Low follows Marcus as the main protagonist and delves into more mature themes than Glines did with Breathe - because of that and the steamy hotness of some of the writing (!) - yes sex scenes are included in this one - the novel is classed as New adult (whatever that means!)

I really enjoyed reading this book - it uses some of the classic YA plot lines -: Eg: dysfunctional families, rich guy meets working class girl etc...... but deals with these in an interesting and different style - it has a killer twist which I worked out about three quarters of the way through the book - but isn't as cliched as some when dealing with the themes of adultery and its impact. Glines handling of the sex scenes are raunchy without being tacky and fairly realistic!

It's worth reading Breathless first to get to know the characters who populate both series - but Because of Low is aimed at older YA readers and therefore I found it more satisfying and enjoyable to read out of the two

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because of Low.