Leo's Reviews > Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Apr 13, 2012

it was ok

Rebecca was a lingering novel. The middle half of the book should have used a bit more suspense and less melodrama. If you can plow through the heroine's tiresome despairs, to reach the chapter where a ship crashes onto the cliffs of the cove, then the plot will pull itself out of a nosedive, as Rebecca's true light is revealed.
I love the narrator. She was rapidly endeared to me. She was so money, the whole time, and she didn't even know it. I missed the profound revelations that the author presumably attempted to illustrate, about the relationship between a powerful man and a diffident woman. However, the heroine is not without her power, if she would only recognize its presence.
I saw Manderly as a burden more than a coveted thing. I suppose it had as strong of a place in the story as its characters did. I hoped it would feel more eerie. Instead I felt trapped inside its stiff grandiosity.
Oh well, I should've enjoyed this more. Maybe I was in a funk when I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.

April 13, 2012 – Shelved
July 3, 2012 – Started Reading
July 5, 2012 –
page 149
33.79% "A novel, a beast, a ramshackle, in my chest, this work surrounds me. The ghastly coast of Western England's most solemn bay, it lurches forward at me. I feel a strange resonance and reciprocation with the unnamed narrator. As if, I have been thrust into the conundrum of life, too early to decipher the path its rivulets would take. Anyhow, the two of us found our way in a decidedly gorgeous manner."
July 10, 2012 –