Sean Carlin's Reviews > Tried & (Still) True

Tried & (Still) True by Erik Tyler

Here's a sampling of the advice offered in TRIED & (Still) TRUE: "Haste makes waste." "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater." "Let bygones be bygones." "Never look a gift horse in the mouth." "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." "A stitch in time saves nine." "A rolling stone gathers no moss." "All good things must come to an end."

Heard any of that before? Sure you have. But when was the last time you stopped to ask yourself -- really consider -- what any of it actually means...?​

If you're wary of another motivational self-help manual passing off clichéd platitudes as inspired pragmatism, this is just the book for you: a motivational volume of clichéd platitudes–turned–inspired pragmatism like no other. Author Erik Tyler reexamines some very old proverbs -- arguably the tweets of their day -- illuminating their original grammatical and historical contexts in order to better understand the universal truths they were intended to impart, and how that "lost" wisdom might be reclaimed and applied in the customizable reality of our "newer-is-better" Digital Age.​

As he did in his previous book, The Best Advice So Far, Tyler doesn't so much lecture to his reader as share his infectious passion and intellectual curiosity through a series of anecdotal essays written in his easy, inviting style, imbued with his signature personal candor and good humor. I read TRIED & (Still) TRUE in two days, and upon finishing it, spent the entire night telling my wife all about it; I not only felt smarter for having read it, I felt wiser -- even inspired. It's just the book to help start a new year -- a new decade! -- with a renewed mindset of optimism and self-agency.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tried & (Still) True.

December 26, 2019 – Started Reading