Alex findingmontauk1's Reviews > The Dead Girls Club

The Dead Girls Club by Damien Angelica Walters

bookshelves: lohf, owned

Looking for a coming-of-age horror story that isn't centered around boys becoming men? Look no further! The Dead Girls Club is your answer. Damien Angelica Walters crafts together a wonderful story that blends horror and thriller. The story is told from one person's POV but is told in a "Then" and a "Now" setting. I don't know why but any alternating timeline like this in a book ALWAYS encourages me to read more quickly and more in one sitting. This format just works for me - it keeps my attention and always has me wanting more. The Dead Girls Club is no different in that aspect.

But this book has something more that kept me hooked: a sense of nostalgia. In our story, young girls in the past are playing games like Bloody Mary, Light As a Feather, and are involved in a club that focuses on all things macabre: serial killers, Stephen King books, and scary rituals that are "supposed to be fun and maybe not real." Who didn't spend some of their youth involved in just these exact same activities with similar interests? I mean, I know I did... which is maybe why this book resonates so well with me.

Walters can absolutely craft a mystery and coming-of-age tale so well together! I found the horror elements to be more so in the past setting: the actual "Dead Girls Club" the girls are in, the tales of witches and ghosts, the spooky coincidences we learn about, and the dark games and rituals. All of these are part of the girls' upbringing. The current setting of the book to me reads as more of a thriller. Each chapter sets us up for a flashback to the past where something dark has happened. And each chapter in the present is full of fast-paced action, paranoia, and/or lies told here and there which are all elements of a great thriller to me, too.

I had a few predictions on how the story was going to end... all of them were mostly wrong for me. I did have one little piece figured out around halfway through... but that did not stop me from thirsting to put ALL the pieces together and see what happened and what IS happening. I can't recommend this book enough! If it isn't obvious yet, this book is a 5 star read!

Thank you Crooked Lane Books for this copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead Girls Club.

August 30, 2019 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
August 30, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (ebook Edition)
January 2, 2020 – Started Reading
January 2, 2020 – Shelved
January 2, 2020 – Shelved as: lohf
January 2, 2020 – Shelved as: owned
January 3, 2020 –
page 48
17.14% "I am hooked on this one!"
January 4, 2020 – Finished Reading