Nicole M. Hewitt's Reviews > Malice

Malice by Pintip Dunn

bookshelves: fiction-addiction-read

This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

A twisty time travel tale! This is one of those books that keeps you on your toes---Alice's future self has contacted her because she needs current-Alice to stop a classmate from creating a virus that will decimate the population. You're left not only wondering who will be a future evil genius, but also trying to piece together how future-Alice's instructions will possibly stop the upcoming apocalypse. I love stories like this because it's so fun to try and figure out exactly what's going on. I actually had the villain pinned right from the start, but the book definitely threw me for more than a few loops by the end as the time travel aspect of the book got twistier and twistier. Alice is never sure who to trust---in the current world or from the future. I especially loved seeing her live out aspects of her future life and finally experiencing the whole timeline so she can make sense of it all (and, of course, that's when we understand the full story as well). It's interesting because some of the conflict in the book is between Alice and her own future self, which presents her with some intriguing philosophical questions---should she trust her older (and therefore, assumedly wiser) self implicitly or should she follow her own current-Alice path? And then there are the moral questions of what she's willing to do in the present to stop a future atrocity. The book ended in a way I definitely wasn't expecting, which was a fantastic added bonus for a story like this. Sure there were moments when the story swooped into unbelievable places, but I still basically loved every minute of the roller coaster ride!!

***Disclosure: I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. No other compensation was given and all opinions are my own.***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Malice.

January 2, 2020 – Shelved