Meg Dendler's Reviews > I'm Not Dying with You Tonight

I'm Not Dying with You Tonight by Kimberly   Jones

The premise of this book is interesting: two teens thrown together during an explosive night of rioting, one white and one black, with the chapters switching between the two points of view and written by two separate authors—one white and one black.

I admit that I was confused a few times and would forget whose POV I was in and have to reread a bit to get myself back on track, though most of the time the difference was clear, especially through dialogue because the black character drops words and slings slang like it’s her career. The whole story is done in first person present tense, which I’m not a fan of but is the standard in YA books today so you just have to go with it. In this case, it does add to the immediacy of the situation in which the girls find themselves.

Overall, the story was well done and exciting and kept me wanting to turn the page. The novel is certainly dealing with timely topics and the assumptions one race can make about another (going both ways). It would be an excellent read for a teen book club and lead to some lively discussions about the choices the characters make in the story.

*I reviewed this book as a second round judge of the Cybils Book Awards, but I checked my copy out of the local library (did not receive a free copy from the publisher) and am under no obligation to post a positive review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Not Dying with You Tonight.

January 2, 2020 – Started Reading