Gigi's Reviews > The Disenchantments

The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour

Apr 13, 2012

bookshelves: chic-lit, favourites, inspiring-novels, messed-up-mcs, ya-novels
Read in April, 2012

Here's what I love about road trip books: the characters are always in search of something they lack in their lives, and most of the time they don't even know what they're looking for. In many ways, books like The Disenchantments are very relatable to teenagers.

Often, I find myself wondering the point of living day after day with just assignments and projects and homeworks and textbooks as my companions. What would I do after high school? What can I do? Even those with a clear target, we are almost unsure if our decisions are wise. Which is yet another bad thing about being a teenager.

Road trips are what you need to search for a life of your own. It may not be what you thought you were looking for in the end, but I believe that road trips are the perfect solution to my messy life consisting of endless studying. Now that I am not old enough to have a road trip of my own, I just have books like this to guide me on, quenching my thirst for something that will belong to me, hopefully, in the near future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Disenchantments.

message 1: by Yuen (new)

Yuen There will never be an answer to what we are looking for because what we need today might not be what we yearn tomorrow. Things changes in life. But yes, i don't want a meaningless life. I want to be new, be creative. I want to be me. So, despite the imposibility, we are constantly searching. And that, the searching, not what you get in the end, is the meaning of life.