Brenda's Reviews > The Light Between Oceans

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

bookshelves: 2012-release, aussie-authors, own-read, library-bookclub-reads

What a wonderfully complex and morally riveting story! I literally could not put this down, and read for a solid 3 hours last night, until 1am, when I finished this book!

When Tom Sherbourne returned from WWI, he was a shattered man. He needed a quiet place to gather his thoughts, to calm himself, as he didn’t believe he should have survived the war, when his mates did not. So he became a lighthouse keeper, and over the next few years, he did his job, and learned his trade, until he accepted the job of lighthouse keeper on the small island of Janus Rock, an extremely remote location off the coast of Western Australia.

The small township of Partageuse was where he spent a week or so, before heading out to the island for his first look at Janus Rock, with the help of Ralph and Bluey. They would come out in The Windward Spirit every three months with his supplies, any mail, anything that was needed. But in the time he spent in Partageuse, he met up with the lovely Isabel Graysmark, and over the next months, a quiet courtship occurred, with letters going back and forth on The Windward Spirit with Ralph and Bluey.

On their marriage, in 1926, Isabel joined Tom on Janus Rock, and the two of them lived their lives happy, content, and isolated from the rest of the world. Their happiness was not complete however, as Isabel endured miscarriages and depression, with Tom struggling to comfort her.

One April morning, with the wind blowing strongly, a boat was washed ashore, with a dead man, and a crying baby onboard. The consequences of the choices they made that fateful day would live with them forever.

As the years unfolded, their decision would see many lives affected, with an extremely devastating result. The continuing heartbreaking story will tear you apart, as you grapple with the right and wrong of love and loyalty.

This debut novel by Aussie author M.L. Stedman is gripping in its intensity. I highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light Between Oceans.

April 13, 2012 – Shelved
May 13, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-release
May 20, 2012 – Shelved as: aussie-authors
October 11, 2012 – Started Reading
October 12, 2012 – Shelved as: own-read
October 12, 2012 – Finished Reading
October 21, 2014 – Shelved as: library-bookclub-reads

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

Mish I'm glad you spotted this..it looks good with great review. I added to my tbr too (ps thanks for the rec on Romy Ash)

Brenda Pleasure Mish:)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished this - it's a very good read - thought provoking ... In that kind of "what would I have done" if I were this or that character, throughout.

Brenda I'll have to get it in there somewhere somehow, SOON Jen...lol

Brenda I have just decided to change my October read to this one, in the Aussie Authors challenge! That way I will get it read:) Thanks Jen:)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope you enjoy it Brenda

Brenda I'm sure I will Jen, the reviews are all very positive!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Where do I find the Aussie authors challenge pls?

Brenda http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

That's the Aussie author one which started at the beginning of the year, and goes till the end...

that's the whole list of challenges we have going at the moment...of course September has just finished, but the rest are active:)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

What are you thinking of it so far Brenda?

Brenda Not far in yet Jen, but enjoying it:)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Ill be interested in seeing what you think of it when your done if you do a review.

Brenda I'll review Jen...I review everything I read now:)

Isabel Mansfield I'll be interested what you think of it I really loved it

Brenda I'm a good way in now, and really enjoying it!

Heidi I loved it, too, Brenda, though it was sad - sort of a no win situation ... no matter what happened in the end, someone would get hurt.
One of my favourite reads this year, great story.

Brenda Definitely Heidi. A great read:)

Isabel Mansfield Brenda I thought it was the best book I've read for a while looking forward to the next one

Brenda It certainly was wonderful Isabel. Have you heard of a next one?

Isabel Mansfield No not yet I just hope this was the first of many

Brenda I totally agree!

message 22: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen So want to read it but its above my e-book price limit of $5.00

☼♄Jülie  It's on my Winter reading challenge now Brenda!

☼♄Jülie  Tui why don't you do what lots of us here do and check out the op shops for books. We have had some wonderful finds, many of them fairly new and in good condition.

Maria I don't understand how some people hated it. I mean other than the gut-wrenching moral issues at play, how you feel for both women (though some definitely seemed to hate one or the other), this book made me feel the isolation of lighthouse keeping living and the devastation you feel after losing children. It was well-written, I thought, and was surprised by how some people were put off by it.

Brenda I guess that's why we're all different Maria. It was a powerful and emotional book in my opinion and grabbed me intensely. But obviously it hasn't grabbed everyone the same way... I'll always recommend it though :)

Janine Oh this is such a coincidence! I just put the audiobook on hold at work yesterday! Saw the movie preview on Sunday and it looked really good, so of course I wanted to read the book first. I miss glad I did based on your trustworthy review Brenda!

Brenda It's a wonderful story Janine :) I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Jeannie I loved this book!

Brenda It was amazing wasn't it Jeannie :)

Brenda Thanks Karin :) I wish she'd write another!

message 32: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Loved this one too Brenda. Did you shed a tear?

Brenda Oh several Dem! I wish she would write another book!

Jonetta Oh, how I loved this story and am so glad you did, too. Excellent review.

Brenda Thanks Jonetta - it was certainly a captivating novel :)