Dan's Reviews > Angelmaker

Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway

Apr 12, 2012

bookshelves: adventure, literary, sci-fi, steampunk
Read from April 12 to May 06, 2012 — I own a copy

I realized how much I was enjoying this book when, immediately upon arrival in San Francisco, I suddenly HAD to buy it so I could finish reading. (Most of my fiction usually comes from libraries... this was unusual.)

This book does many different things, and does them well. (I could have done without the gratuitous zombies, but thankfully that part is passed over quickly) It's very literary, and the style takes a bit of time to get used to; once that's settled though, it gets down to adventure, conspiracy, steampunk, and random bits of sci-fi and philosophy to round things out. It's great fun.

At the beginning, this reminded me of The Domino Men, but that feeling dissipated after the first hundred pages. I need to take a break from this genre of novels (also too similar: The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters)

Recommended to anyone who likes Steampunk-style adventures, and can tolerate wordiness and witty tangents. Once I got through 30 or 40 pages, I never looked back.

...I really want to see this as a movie.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelmaker.

04/19/2012 page 100
05/03/2012 page 305
63.0% "I know it's a hard concept, but every book in 2012 does not need to have zombies in it."
show 5 hidden updates…