Beverley's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Apr 12, 2012

bookshelves: favourites, romance, weepies, ya, would-read-again, read-in-2012

If I was stranded on a desert island and could only read one book for the rest of my days, this would be the one! I absolutely adored it, the characters are so well formed and realistic that by the end of the book I almost felt a genuine bond with them.

As a cancer survivor myself I was touched by the way Green handled the illness in a funny but realistic way that left me in tears. I don't class myself as an oversensitive person but after this book finished I cried like a baby for at least half an hour.

This is one of those rare books that touches your heart and soul. I wish there were 6 stars because finally I have found a book worthy of them.
1 like · flag

Quotes Beverley Liked

John Green
“There will come a time when all of us are dead. All of us. There will come a time when there are no human beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species ever did anything. There will be no one left to remember Aristotle or Cleopatra, let alone you. Everything that we did and built and wrote and thought and discovered will be forgotten and all of this will have been for naught. Maybe that time is coming soon and maybe it is millions of years away, but even if we survive the collapse of our sun, we will not survive forever. There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. God knows that’s what everyone else does.”

John Green
“There were five others before they got to him. He smiled a little when his turn came. His voice was low, smoky, and dead sexy. “My name is Augustus Waters,” he said. “I’m seventeen. I had a little touch of osteosarcoma a year and a half ago, but I’m just here today at Isaac’s request.”

“And how are you feeling?” asked Patrick.

“Oh, I’m grand.” Augustus Waters smiled with a corner of his mouth. “I’m on a roller coaster that only goes up, my friend.”

John Green
“Whenever you read a cancer booklet or website or whatever, they always list depression among the side effects of cancer. But, in fact, depression is not a side effect of cancer. Depression is a side effect of dying.”

John Green
“Look, let me just say it: He was hot. A nonhot boy stares at you relentlessly and it is, at best, awkward and, at worst, a form of assault. But a hot boy . . . well.”

John Green
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”

John Green
“There was quite a lot of competitiveness about it, with everybody wanting to beat not only cancer itself, but also the other people in the room. Like, I realize that this is irrational, but when they tell you that you have, say, a 20 percent chance of living five years, the math kicks in and you figure that’s one in five . . . so you look around and think, as any healthy person would: I gotta outlast four of these bastards.”

John Green
“I told Augustus the broad outline of my miracle: diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer when I was thirteen. (I didn’t tell him that the diagnosis came three months after I got my first period. Like: Congratulations! You’re a woman. Now die.)”

John Green
“May I see you again?" he asked. There was an endearing nervousness in his voice.

I smiled. "Sure."

"Tomorrow?" he asked.

"Patience, grasshopper," I counseled. "You don't want to seem overeager.

"Right, that's why I said tomorrow," he said. "I want to see you again tonight. But I'm willing to wait all night and much of tomorrow." I rolled my eyes. "I'm serious," he said.

"You don't even know me," I said. I grabbed the book from the center console. "How about I call you when I finish this?"

"But you don't even have my phone number," he said.

"I strongly suspect you wrote it in this book."

He broke out into that goofy smile. "And you say we don't know each other.”

John Green
“Books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.”

John Green
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”

John Green
“I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.”

John Green
“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.”

John Green
“You have a choice in this world, I believe, about how to tell sad stories, and we made the funny choice.”

John Green
“I'm a grenade and at some point I'm going to blow up and I would like to minimize the casualties, okay?”

John Green
“That’s part of what I like about the book in some ways. It portrays death truthfully. You die in the middle of your life, in the middle of a sentence”

John Green
“What a slut time is. She screws everybody.”

John Green
“Some tourists think Amsterdam is a city of sin, but in truth it is a city of freedom. And in freedom, most people find sin.”

John Green
“Come over here so I can examine your face with my hands and see deeper into your soul than a sighted person ever could.”

John Green
“Augustus," I said. "Really. You don't have to do this."
"Sure I do," he said. "I found my Wish."
"God, you're the best," I told him.
"I bet you say that to all the boys who finance your international travel," he answered.”

“Headline?" he asked.
"'Swing Set Needs Home,'" I said.
"'Desperately Lonely Swing Set Needs Loving Home,'" he said.
"'Lonely, Vaguely Pedophilic Swing Set Seeks the Butts of Children,'" I said.”

John Green
“But it is the nature of stars to cross, and never was Shakespeare more wrong than when he has Cassius note, ‘The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves.”

John Green
“Augustus Waters," I said, looking up at him, thinking that you cannot kiss anyone in the Anne Frank House, and then thinking that Anne Frank, after all, kissed someone in the Anne Frank House, and that she would probably like nothing more than for her home to have become a place where the young and irreparably broken sink into love.”

John Green
“Maybe 'okay' will be our 'always”

April 12, 2012 – Shelved