Monica (books_over_everything)'s Reviews > Malice

Malice by Pintip Dunn

bookshelves: 2020

**Disclaimer: I was given a free e-book in exchange for an honest review.**

Title Malice

Author Pintip Dunn

Release Date February 4, 2020

Publisher Entangled Teen

Description from Amazon

What I know: a boy in my class will one day wipe out two-thirds of the population with a virus.

What I don’t know: who he is.

In a race against the clock, I not only have to figure out his identity, but I’ll have to outwit a voice from the future telling me to kill him. Because I’m starting to realize no one is telling the truth. But how can I play chess with someone who already knows the outcome of my every move? Someone so filled with malice they’ve lost all hope in humanity? Well, I’ll just have to find a way—because now they’ve drawn a target on the only boy I’ve ever loved…

Initial Thoughts

I don’t read a ton of sci-fi but one of my resolutions for 2020 was to read more of the genres that I previously designated as “out of my comfort zone”. The concept of this book sounded interesting so I thought I’d give it a shot.

Some Things I Liked

Magic without including a fantasy element. I loved (pun intended) the role that love played in this story. There was something pseudo-magical about Alice’s relationships with her family and with Bandit. For a story centered around science, I really appreciated the elements of human emotion factored into the story.
Mystery/Thriller vibes. I really enjoyed being on the edge of my seat while reading this story. It’s not often that a book can keep me guessing for as long as Malice did, so major props to Pintip Dunn on that front.
One Thing I Didn’t Like

Sci-fi is always a tough genre for me. I spend way too much time thinking about the plausibility of the story and I find it difficult to suspend my disbelief. There were some moments in this book where I struggled to believe in the time travel elements. But, they were few and far between. My one, tiny, complaint about this book is that there were some small moments where the magic of the story fizzled for me and I got bogged down by my own overly-critical mind.
Series Value

While I did enjoy getting to know these characters, this story feels complete. If Pintip Dunn decides to revisit this world for more about Alice and company, I’d enjoy reading it, but, I am happy with the conclusion of Malice.

Final Thoughts

I enjoyed this book. I read it all in one shot because I couldn’t put it down. I had some small issues with the continuity of the time travel elements (but this is the main reason I avoid sci-fi as a genre). Overall, this was an interesting read with enjoyable and emotionally gripping characters.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Recommendations for Further Reading

Four Dead Queens by Astrid Scholte – if you liked the race against the clock to prevent a terrible action element of Malice, try this standalone by Astrid Scholte.
Scythe by Neal Shusterman – if you enjoyed the more science fiction-y elements of this story, try the Arc of a Scythe series by Neal Shusterman.
Caraval by Stephane Garber – ok, this seems like a weird rec, but hear me out. If you liked the idea of someone attempting to prevent something in the future because they have knowledge of said future, try this series. Also, if you liked that concept but wanted a more fantasy setting, you will enjoy this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Malice.

January 1, 2020 – Shelved