Katie's Reviews > Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave

Dave the Potter by Laban Carrick Hill

Apr 12, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: eced-221, children-s-and-picture-books

Dave the Potter is the story of a slave who created beautiful pottery. He knew how to write as well, and inscribed short poems on his pottery. Not much is known about Dave, but the book explains what we do know about him and describes the process of creating pottery.

This book is very well written, and the language was well chosen. The illustrations are great and help the text to tell the readers about Dave. The colors are rich and really accentuate the beauty in Dave’s work. The text and pictures worked perfectly together. The story is also accurate and provides resources in the back of the book. Nobody knows much about Dave, but the book clearly explains what we do know.

I enjoyed this book and think it could be used in the classroom in a variety of ways. First, it could be used as an introduction to the process of making pottery, and it would be great to introduce the students to new art forms they may not be acquainted with. It’s also a good book to read when discussing slavery, or even poetry. All in all, I think it’s a great book for a classroom collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dave the Potter.