Maria Thomas's Reviews > Hazelhurst

Hazelhurst by Martha Keyes

U 50x66
I stayed up way too late last night to finish this book. I didn't want to want until morning to see how it played out. I'm paying for it now but it was worth it. :)
I liked Lady Anne's calm demeanor and her ability to go on with her life despite the horrible circumstances. It took me a while for Tobias to endear himself to me but he did eventually. Once again a lot of angst could have been avoided by some communication but there was some early on as Anne gently invited Tobias to spend more time with her. But the non-communication added to the conflict angle of the story.
The villain in the story reminded me of Mr. Wickham of Pride and Prejudice fame but he might be even worse than Wickham in many ways. It wasn't clear to me if he truly felt driven to see his son or if that was an excuse to be in hiding. Wanting to see his son was perhaps his only redeeming quality and yet I question his sincerity so maybe he is just villain all around.
I have enjoyed this series and look forward to more.

Sex: no
Language: no
Violence: yes. Not graphic
*I received a complimentary ARC of this book and voluntarily chose to review it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hazelhurst.

December 31, 2019 – Started Reading