Xavier Guillaume's Reviews > Wishful Drinking

Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher

Apr 12, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction, audio-book
Recommended for: Anyone, Star Wars fans, Carrie Fisher fans
Read 2 times. Last read April 2, 2012 to April 5, 2012.

Holy God in all Hell is this audio CD HILARIOUS!!! I've always had a liking towards Carrie Fisher after seeing all the Star Wars movies as a kid, but after listening to her tell her story about her life, I have an all new full-blown appreciation for this one helluva lady!

Seriously, Carrie Fisher is probably one of the funniest female comedians I've ever heard. She is seriously up there with Joan Rivers, but perhaps Carrie Fisher is even funnier, I still can't decide.

Before listening to this CD I was unsure whether her life would be that captivating. Sure her mother was Debbie Reynolds (best known for Singin' in the Rain, but I think a more current allusion would be towards her portrayal of Grace's mom in Will and Grace [mostly because Grace's mom pretty much embodies Carrie Fisher's mom through description]). Anyway, after hearing Fisher talk about her mom, I was blown away. Her life was so fucked up! Sure, during the time it was probably very dramatic and confusing, but you have to admit, there is a certain humor to her entire story. It's like when you wake up and find your best friend dead in your bed. First it's scary and traumatic and life-altering, but then it gets to be kind of funny, like reflecting why there was a gay republican in your bed in the first place. Yes, this happened to Carrie Fisher.

My absolute favorite line in the audio CD is when Carrie Fisher is talking about her father and how sad it was when his 5th wife, Betty Lin, passes away. But then Carrie mentions how her father ends up paying respects to Betty's death by dating half of Chinatown. I almost lost it there, but then Carrie goes on, that it worked out so well because after the number of face lifts her father had, he looked Asian himself! Wow! I completely lost it at that point and I was rolling on the couch in laughter.

Other memorable moments, I really like when Debbie Reynolds calls her daughter she goes, "Hello, dear, this is your mother, Debbie." You know, as opposed to a different mother she has. So she and her brother decided it would be hilarious if they talk to each other in the same way, "Hello, dear, this is your brother, Todd." I just about lost it there, which could have been bad because I was cruising down the freeway at that point.

I'm not sure how well the humor comes through the book, but if you have the option, you must get the audio CD and listen to Carrie Fisher tell her own story in her own voice. She does such an amazing job with her delivery. It's how she says it that makes me laugh sometimes, which I feel I wouldn't necessarily have found funny if I had only read it. Instead of seeing Carrie Fisher's words you can feel them. :)

She does include a bit of her life with Star Wars, and how much it ruined her life. I especially love that her friends made fun of her when they found out she was doing that movie because it was pretty much the title of the story of her parents. Star Wars! You know because both of her parents were celebrity icons (think Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston with Elizabeth Taylor starred by Angelina Jolie). But yeah, Carrie Fisher is hilarious by giving her behind-the-scenes take on Star Wars. Also, I just looked it up, and apparently Carrie Fisher does the audio commentary on the Star Wars Blu-Ray. Wow! That is most definitely worth the $90 on its own, so I really can't wait till I can get it and listen to it just for that.

Do I recommend this audio CD? Hell to the yes! It's probably the funniest audio CD I've ever heard. You will not be disappointed, and if you are disappointed you don't have a soul. No, seriously, don't even talk to me if you hate on these CDs. That's how much I love them!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wishful Drinking.