Brandann Hill-Mann's Reviews > The Letters She Left Behind

The Letters She Left Behind by C.L. Walters

I received an ARC of the re-release of this book.

THE LETTER SHE LEFT BEHIND was introduced to me as an adult romance--which it is--but there's so much more going on here. Woven within the beats of a typical romance structure are the threads of a murder/suspense plot, a result of the character Megan's odd code left in a series of journals and letters discovered after her death. There's a conspiracy that forces the MCs to work in tandem to solve, ultimately drawing them together. A fun twist I wasn't expecting!

Walters lives on O'ahu, and it shows in her loving descriptions. Even the fictionalized places she takes the story are familiar to me, and it's clear that she took steps to be respectful of the touches of local culture she uses. The back and forth time structure gives the reader a good view from each character's eyes.

The bones of this story are strong, and overall I enjoyed it. I'm very selective about romance novels, and this offered more depth than I was expecting. Walters writes with a verbosity that is a touch beyond my usual preference (I gave up on Tolkein after 20 pages), and there are some places I feel the prose could have been tightened, but it did engage me, and my familiarity with the setting as well as the story itself drew me in and kept me there.

I'm interested to check out Walters' YA series. She's a confident writer who has a strong story to tell with a local touch that I think many will enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Letters She Left Behind.

December 21, 2019 – Started Reading