Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > Fortuna Sworn

Fortuna Sworn by K.J. Sutton

47207032

bookshelves: bookstagram-made-me-do-it, from-publisher, kindle-deals, recommended
Recommended to Chelsea by: Irina Humphrey

"Fallen. I hadn't had to use that term in ages. Every species-faeries, werewolves, shapeshifters, nymphs-were descended from angels. No one knew whether it was mutation or evolution that had separated us."

Hello, and welcome to my newest obsession. Yes, we've all read countless fantasy tales in the midst of the faerie boom, but Kelsey Sutton has brought something new to the table. While she's borrowed a dash of folk lore from here and a smattering of angsty romance from there, the real standout quality of this new series is her protagonist: Fortuna Sworn, a Nightmare and last of her kind. What is a Nightmare you might ask?

"Nightmares don't sit on their victims' chests as they sleep, like it describes on Wikipedia or in books; once I touch my victims there's no need to maintain physical contact."

description

Basically, a Nightmare is another supernatural creature that, once he or she makes physical contact with you, they can sense your deepest, darkest fears and make you feel as if you are experiencing them. Surprisingly, Fortuna and her brother Damon were raised by decent parents who taught them only to use their powers in the most dire of situations; anything more or less and you become the monster they fear you are. Also, lying is a no no. Now that we've got that down pat, let's move along.

The premise here is that Fortuna's brother, Damon, went missing a couple of years ago and no one has seen him since-meaning no body has turned up-which has caused Fortuna to never stop searching for him. One day, a mysterious stranger arrives at our main character's place of work and offers her a bargain: in exchange for her hand in marriage, this being will take Fortuna to her brother. What follows is a descent into danger and chaos, both literal and figurative.

I don't want to give anything away, but it's safe to admit that this book has a lot of fae activity going on. I love how it felt a little darker and more mature than some of the YA faerie books being published, and while we received a lot on information in this installment, there are some major threads that need answering in the next book, which I'm desperately looking forward to. My only concern was with the trials that Fortuna has to pass in the second half of the book; they felt very similar to the ones that Feyre has to endure in A Court of Thorns and Roses, and I'd have liked the final trial to have been something a bit more unique. Overall, I adored this book and am anxiously awaiting the second!

*Many thanks to the author for providing my signed copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fortuna Sworn.

December 31, 2019 – Shelved
January 7, 2020 – Started Reading
January 15, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling This looks and sounds so interesting, I hope you gals love it!!

Chelsea Humphrey Aoife - Bookish_Babbling wrote: "This looks and sounds so interesting, I hope you gals love it!!"

Thank you, my love! And happy new year!

message 3: by Aoife - Bookish_Babbling (last edited Jan 08, 2020 05:04AM) (new)

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Thanks sweetie!
💕💕

Chelsea Humphrey Aoife - Bookish_Babbling wrote: "Thanks sweetie!
💕💕"

So welcome, I <3 you dear!

message 5: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Awesome Chels! Sounds great!

message 6: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha Added to my tbr! This one sounds so interesting.

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Fantastic review babes...you've made me want to read this even more 👍🤩

Chelsea Humphrey Aoife - Bookish_Babbling wrote: "Fantastic review babes...you've made me want to read this even more 👍🤩

Yay!!! Thank you! It does have a few super steamy moments, but overall pretty tame. I'm excited to see where it goes in the next book!

Now for the million dollar question to ensure i one-click this beauty...any smexy steam? 😅"

Trisha wrote: "Added to my tbr! This one sounds so interesting."

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one!

Susanne wrote: "Awesome Chels! Sounds great!"

Thanks, love!

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling 👍🤩🤞😍

Chelsea Humphrey Aoife - Bookish_Babbling wrote: "👍🤩🤞😍"

Lmk if you end up reading this one, my dear! I'd love to chat about it with you!

message 11: by Aoife - Bookish_Babbling (last edited Jan 20, 2020 06:59AM) (new)

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling I deffo will, although at this rate it might be after the second book comes out as my big goal for 2020 is start the Stormlight Archives 😍😍😍

Apologies if I have told you that multiple times already, I am super stoked about it and finally bought them on Saturday. The first three & the novella are ready and waiting on my kindle right now and I'm internally freaking out lolz
#booknerdherd

Chelsea Humphrey Aoife - Bookish_Babbling wrote: "I deffo will, although at this rate it might be after the second book comes out as my big goal for 2020 is start the Stormlight Archives 😍😍😍

Apologies if I have told you that multiple times alread..."

Ah yay! I really want to tackle those this year as well. I bought the first on kindle!

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Happy reading when you pick it up, I want to finish City of Stairs and I think I am Buddy Reading the sequel to that series, so will probably pick up the first Stormlight at the same time so that I don't accidentally read past my allocated pages per day for the BR 😈

message 14: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Another fabulous review Chelsea!!👍💋😉💞

Chelsea Humphrey Kat wrote: "Another fabulous review Chelsea!!👍💋😉💞"

Thank you so much, my love! <3

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling wrote: "Happy reading when you pick it up, I want to finish City of Stairs and I think I am Buddy Reading the sequel to that series, so will probably pick up the first Stormlight at the same time so that I..."

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Chelsea wrote: "Smart idea! We'll have to check in with each other and see how our trek is going! ;) ."

You should know my now to be careful what you wish for when it comes to my babbling blathering bookish ways 🙊 😎

Chelsea Humphrey Aoife - Bookish_Babbling wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "Smart idea! We'll have to check in with each other and see how our trek is going! ;) ."

You know I'm here for all the bookish babble!

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling *snugs*