Brett Armstrong's Reviews > Launch

Launch by Jason C. Joyner

Recommended for: Fans of super hero stories, action, adventure, spiritual warfare, and/or Christian fiction.
Read 2 times. Last read July 25, 2019 to July 30, 2019.

Having read a few superhero novels, I felt like I had a good bead on the genre. I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong. Jason Joyner's debut YA superhero novel has everything you'd expect from a good entry in either of those genres. Superpowers, a supervillain, and world-in-peril stakes alongside making new friends, sorting out crushes, and finding your place in the world. It's so well blended neither sticks out as obvious or discordant. You find yourself believing in Demarcus, Lily, and the others as real people, so as more and more incredible things happen it's at once all the more stunning and yet more natural feeling. I wasn't prepared for that. I read through this book in pretty much one sitting, because it pulled me in.
Another element I was unsure of going into this book was the spiritual component to the story. As a Christian I've read some very overt and blunt portrayals of the faith and some so faint and obscure they're almost undetectable. Launch struck a fantastic balance. It wasn't so heavy handed that a non-Christian superhero fan would feel like he or she is in a sermon by any stretch, yet the spiritual component, the importance of the Faith is very much a core of this story. It toes the line with being a spiritual warfare story. Which is incredible.
In fairness, my one question with the book is the theological implications of the story within it's own world. But I'd imagine that those sorts of things are better addressed across the Rise of the Anointed Series rather in its origins entry.
In short, this is an engrossing and enjoyable read for fans of superhero action and YA dynamics. If you're not a Christian, it should still be a good read, and if you are in all three camps this one will be a memorable one to keep on your shelves.
In short, I need book 2!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Launch.

Finished Reading