M.H. Thaung's Reviews > The Silver Locomotive Mystery

The Silver Locomotive Mystery by Edward Marston

This is the first Railway Detective mystery book I've read. It was a quick, easy read and I didn't have a problem with coming in partway through the series.

Detective Colbeck and his assistant Leeming travel from London to Cardiff in order to investigate a murder, as well as the theft of a custom-made silver coffee pot. Needless to say, the investigation isn't straightforward.

The clues (and Colbeck's suspicions) point in various plausible directions until we finally discover whodunnit. The ultimate reveal wasn't much of a surprise, but neither was it telegraphed from the start (imo, of course - other readers may have spotted it immediately).

There's a whole cast of shady characters with possible motivations to commit the crimes. Several of them had unpleasant personalities, and I felt in some cases they approached caricatures.

We visited so many different characters' heads in quick succession that I lost track of who was thinking what. I think this added to my general impression of over-explaininess. At times, it seemed that the author was dragging the reader into a minor character's thoughts merely to ensure we picked up what the author intended.

Overall, an entertaining light read that's not too challenging.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Locomotive Mystery.

Started Reading