Leah M's Reviews > Milk and Honey

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur

it was ok

I'm really conflicted about this book. I saw such great reviews, and was convinced it would be a great read. I read the entire book in about an hour, cover to cover.

The four sections pertained to different areas of the author's life, but I found it hard to understand how she went from a section on sexual abuse and rape to lust and love. It just didn't flow well, especially since the following section was on healing. I felt as though it would have been better if the healing section had gone between the first two.

The poems themselves had depth to them, even though many were very short, shorter even than a haiku in some cases. The author got really raw with her poetry, and I liked the emphasis on how sweetness can be found anywhere if we look hard enough. But overall, I was underwhelmed and had a difficult time connecting to a lot of the poems. I don't tend to read poetry often because of this - it isn't the fault of the poems, I think I'm channeling my inner high school student. The teachers used to dissect every single word of every poem, and I always feel as if I don't do that, I'm missing something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Milk and Honey.

December 31, 2019 – Shelved