Charli ღ Denae's Reviews > Great Hexpectations

Great Hexpectations by H.P. Mallory

Apr 11, 2012

bookshelves: paranormal-shifters-vamps-etc
Read in April, 2012

NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo!!!! I thought this series was a trilogy. It's not!! Major cliffhanger, too!!! Ugh!!! When is the 4th book coming out?!? I gotta' know!!! ***I just found out that the 4th book comes out May 4th!! Whoo hoo!!!***

OK, I'm alright, now. Hee hee!! I just had to get that out.

These books are addictive. Seriously. Dulcie O'Neil, the main heroine, is an amazingly interesting character whose inner dialogue will crack you up one minute, and get you thinking the next. She definitely keeps you on your toes. Her friends and co-workers are a huge part of the series and make it a lot of fun. The characteristics of each species of paranormal creature is unique and complete. You could almost believe that they're real. They are just living their lives; going to work, having families, following... or not following... the law... doing what us humans do every day and living among us in mostly complete comfort, except they have varying magical powers... and appearances.

In the 3rd book, Dulcie travels to the Netherland, the paranormal world that parallels earth, for the most part. The description of the 'Netherworld' is pretty believable and you never really 'come out of the story' while reading because it's as though you're reading about somewhere that really exists. This part of the series can be very frustrating, though, because you've gotten to care about these characters and they're going through a very difficult time. I won't spoil any of the story but there is a major cliffhanger involving the main story line and a character mentioned early-on. The character reveal totally caught me off guard. Great work, there, Ms. Mallory!

Now, I am dying to find out the outcome and the 4th book is not available yet. Rats!! Rats!!! Rats!!! This reminds me of when I was waiting for the next Harry Potter book to come out. LOL!! Definitely a must-read series!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Great Hexpectations.