Jamie's Reviews > The Hoarder in You: How to Live a Happier, Healthier, Uncluttered Life

The Hoarder in You by Robin Zasio

Apr 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: self-help

In the 1-5 hoarder continuun, from neat freak to hoarder, I am, actually a 4. I don't actually hoard anything (with 1 exception) and I don't have ANY trouble throwing things away, usually. I constantly have a bag of clothes set to donate, I sell stuff at a community yard sale every year. That said, I'm a huge slob. There is crap in every room of my house. I throw some away but it's still a total mess. So this book gave me hints on how to tackle this in small doses which were helpful. I immediately cleaned out the freezer by asking the question she asks of hoarders to get them to throw out food - this might still be safe, but it's probably no longer tasty. Also, that Trader Joe's frozen food that you didn't really like? Cut your losses. You don't want to eat it. Throw it out. And I did. It was interesting! However, I think I really need Robin Zasio herself to come over to my house and make me do this de-cluttering. Kind encouragement of "just a little bit at a time" can easily become, "You know, start whenever." That clutter ain't going anywhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hoarder in You.

Started Reading
April 11, 2012 – Shelved
April 11, 2012 – Shelved as: self-help
April 11, 2012 – Finished Reading

Jamie Oh yeah. With the exception of my weird attachment to magazines and boxes, I can throw anything out. I just don't care most of the time! There's always something more interesting to do.

message 2: by Martine (new)

Martine I know how you feel! I'm a definite 4 and slowly creeping into a 5. I'm rather overwhelmed. I am not sure I have any emotional attachment to things, but I do feel a reluctance to let it go. Mostly I'm one of these people "out of sight out of mind". So when I find things, I'm reminded what I wanted it for, why I got it in the first place. And that feeling keeps me from letting go. I'm just not sure where to start. My sister said she would come and help, but I'm a bit embarrassed at having to ask for help. Also part of me knows that if she comes, they will be no more procrastinating.

Chelsey McNeil You guys-- in the book she describes someone who is a 4-- which she says means "needs professional help to clean the place, rotting food, visible insects/rodents, rooms unusable..." Is this what you mean? I do not think it means what you think it means ~Inigo Montoya

Chelsey McNeil Ok, I stand Corrected. Just read the "Place Yourself on the Contiuum" Chapter. I am a solid 3 with parts of my life in the 4 category too.
When I questioned the numbers, I was going off a hoarders scale she mentions briefly around chapter one...