Darren Vincent's Reviews > Vortex

Apr 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012

Good, not great.

I love the concept of this series, with Luke and Ben are in exile and Daala out against the Jedi. That being said, there is still room for improvement in my opinion.

First off, I realize that Luke is an extremely powerful individual at this point and if you have someone that powerful, it is hard to come up with worthwhile opponents. But can we do something else other than targeting Luke's knees in book after book as a means of leveling the playing field? Maybe temporary paralysis in one or more limbs. Temporary blindness that forces him to use the force as sonar? Anything really, but the knees are getting old. He should have prosthetic knees at this point in his life.

Jedi vs Sith bickering. I get it. They don't trust each other. But it feels that every other sentence is one where the Sith ask Luke a question, Luke gives the answer and the Sith doubt him because they feel they are being tricked. Even if this is the actual way that this relationship would go down, it gets redundant after a while. I am not a big fan in general of the Jedi allying with the Sith in the first place.

I do like the entity of Abeloth and her history with the Maw. I am a sucker for ancient evil as a villain. I hope they don't truly kill her off too soon.

This book was better than the last (for me) and I am looking forward to the next in the series, but somewhere along the way in reading this series, I am missing clues. I know I am missing them because I have been reviewing the events on Wookiepedia and am seeing things that I do not remember. I am not reading them too far apart from each other so I know that time is not a factor. I don't know if I am missing clues that may be a bit too subtle or if the fault is on the writers.

Despite everything that I have written, I liked the boo and I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vortex.