Chris Huff's Reviews > Miracles of Our Lord

Miracles of Our Lord by George MacDonald

Read 2 times. Last read December 29, 2019.

George MacDonald never disappoints me.

I listened to this via Librivox while often doing other things, so I didn't catch every word or thought. But what I did catch always encouraged my faith and/or made me think. Usually both.

MacDonald points out that Christ's miracles are not amazing in themselves in the way that we often think about them. Jesus could do these things because He was and is Jesus. Being the Son of God, it's no wonder that He could do miracles.

But maybe He didn't do miracles by breaking scientific laws, but by operating within scientific laws that we're currently unaware of. And so maybe when Peter walked on water, it wasn't because he was defying the law of gravity, but because at that moment, he "got it." And maybe on the new heaven/earth, we'll be able to do all sorts of "miraculous" things, because we'll have been made perfect in our glorified bodies.

I don't know. And I'm not sure that's where MacDonald was going with his book. He didn't write much about our ability to do miracles, but rather mostly about Jesus Himself doing them. But, like I said, MacDonald does encourage me to think.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracles of Our Lord.

Finished Reading