Gwyn's Reviews > Magical Housekeeping: Simple Charms & Practical Tips for Creating a Harmonious Home

Magical Housekeeping by Tess Whitehurst

Apr 11, 2012

it was ok
Read from April 11 to 13, 2012

An okay book, but I wouldn't recommend buying it. As the author herself says, you should only keep those books you find yourself opening again and again, and I wouldn't read this again. It has some useful tips and ideas, but Whitehurst's overabundant New-Age cheerfulness and strange hybrid religion constantly grated on my nerves. For example, she talks about angels like they're some kind of cute fluffy animal that will happily drop whatever they're doing to attend to your slightest whim (like clean your house for you) and refers to the Archangel Michael as her "favorite deity to work with." Now, obviously when you're talking about angels its not exactly easy to say what's true and what isn't, or who's right and who's wrong, but regardless, her style and mine just don't suit. And I'm pretty sure Michael would object to being called a deity--not to mentioned being talked about like some kind of sculpting material.

The best part of this book is the abundant recipes for various oil blends and the like provided toward the back. However, you can find similar recipes elsewhere in other, better books (though perhaps not so many in one place). If you really like the sound of this book and think you might like the author's style better than I, do yourself a favor and get it from your local library, but don't spend money on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magical Housekeeping.