Savannah B's Reviews > Pure

Pure by Julianna Baggott

Apr 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley-goodies, yayaya, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pure.

Savannah B I am so conflicted about Pure, days after finishing it. The descriptive writing was at once impressive and grotesque. The author left no fusing un-described, and that was probably what disgusted me most... but that is also what made Pure such a memorable book.
Pure is, to me, more sci-fi apocalyptic than dystopian gritty love story. I love a good (even if barely believable) dystopian gritty love story, but I'm not crazy about sci-fi. Part of what kept me from really getting into the story was how utterly unrealistic the fusings were- man/beast, man/earth, the Groupies- several people fused together- I just couldn't buy it.
But.
Pressia is a great character. She is smart, resourceful, creative, and optimistic in a world where optimism has all but died. Her story unfolds in sometimes jarring ways, but there is enough heart in Pressia that I was always rooting for her.
She is surrounded by male characters, from her grandfather to Partridge and Bradwell, El Capitan and his brother, all of the OSR soldiers. There are only a handful of female characters in Pure, almost all of which are mothers- which in itself is a story arc. There is only one girl close to Pressia's age, and I hope she has a larger part in the next book.

In all, Pure was a completely haunting, sometimes off-putting, journey of a girl to find herself and her place in the world... which speaks to the whole of adolescence.