M.H. Thaung's Reviews > In This Grave Hour

In This Grave Hour by Jacqueline Winspear

This is a murder mystery set against the background of the start of World War II. I haven't read previous books in the series. This wasn't a problem, as it was easy to pick up from the context who Maisie's (recurrent) friends, acquaintances and relations were as well as hints as to their histories.

The book was easy to read. The investigation and Maisie's personal challenges interwined quite well, and I enjoyed the historical setting.

I wasn't sold on the writing style. I felt that all the characters (including Maisie) were distant. Hence, when she formed conclusions (that were fairly evident from what we'd already read), she felt more like an authorial explanatory mouthpiece to bring readers up to speed. Additionally, her apparent knowing of what other people were thinking came over as authorial intrusion, plus her odd contrived instinct for sensing the right thing to do. Far too convenient. What particularly irritated me was Maisie finding a clue (as a made-up example, a character tells her someone's identity) and then springing into action because of it, but without the reader also being clued in. That smacks of the author deliberately withholding information: a cheap trick.

That said, I enjoyed the read. But I'm not rushing out to find other books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In This Grave Hour.

Started Reading