Maria Thomas's Reviews > Wager for a Lady's Hand

Wager for a Lady's Hand by L.G. Rollins

U 50x66

I liked this story. It was intriguing and wasn't obvious to me how it was going to resolve. My heart rate was up a bit too high through my reading as I worried for Marianne and wondered how she could ever be saved.

I loved the chess game and how game playing became a theme through out the story for both good and evil. It was interesting to me, perhaps even more so, because I do not have a strategic thinking mind.

My only complaint I think was a little repetition in the main character's thought processes toward their goals. We learned early on that Sheldon wanted to catch Cockell and prosecute him and Marianne wanted to escape her father and the unwanted betrothal. Maybe didn't need to hear it so many times. I kept expecting one of the servants to be caught spying on Marianne but we never found out how Cockell got all his info.

There was obviously a set up for another book by the end and I'd be happy to read more from this author about the Lockhart family.

Sex: innuendo and leering from creep
Language: no
Violence: yes, physical, emotional and verbal abuse, as well as attempted murder

*I received a complimentary ARC of this book and voluntarily chose to review it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wager for a Lady's Hand.

December 28, 2019 – Started Reading