Karen's Reviews > Guests of August

Guests of August by Gloria Goldreich

190448

"That was what marriage was sometimes like, she thought. Slights and moods, words unspoken, angers contained, toxic combinations that inevitably simmer and overflow. But it is also inevitable, she assures herself, that heat cools, that even caustic stains fade and are wiped away, leaving only the palest of scars."

It took me a while to read this story and there were so many characters that it was sometimes hard to keep track of them all and their children. But I still enjoyed the time I spent with it and the best part, of course, was exposing all the human-ness we all have. How marriage is hard, how forgiving and being open and vulnerable is hard.

I especially loved the parts where the doctor and his wife kept forgiving each other and wanting to strengthen their marriages at different times when they weren't together and then something would happen and change everything again. I think that's such an accurate portrayal of how life and marriage is and how the chances of both people feeling and being in the same place at the same time is such a rare occurrence. It's so much more often that we feel surges of emotion/love/forgiveness at mismatched times.

It was a lovely novel to end 2019 with.

Thank you to netgalley and Severn House for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guests of August.

December 28, 2019 – Started Reading